Christopher P. Jannes
Chris is a senior shareholder and a member of the firm’s Litigation Division. His general litigation practice includes, but is not limited to, work in the areas of insurance defense, insurance coverage, insurance bad faith, personal injury, product liability, business litigation, commercial litigation, UCC litigation, real property litigation and long-term healthcare litigation. Chris served on the firm's board of directors from 2004 to 2008.
Chris possesses more than 24 years of experience
in state and federal trial and appellate courts. During this time, he
has handled a wide range of litigation matters. His recent product
liability experience includes participation in the defense of a major
pharmaceutical manufacturer in statewide diet drug litigation. Additionally, Chris has extensive experience in insurance coverage matters. He regularly provides analysis and written coverage opinions on a variety of insurance coverage issues deriving from general liability, professional liability, homeowners, personal and commercial auto and commercial property policies of insurance.
Chris has tried jury and bench trials to
judgment, and has successfully argued before the Iowa Supreme Court, the
Iowa Court of Appeals and the Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
He has also resolved numerous lawsuits through settlement, motion
practice, arbitration and mediation. His clients have included insurance
companies, product manufacturers, financial institutions, real property
management companies, finance companies, healthcare providers, long-term healthcare facilities and individuals.
- Estate of Marcotte v. Greyhound Lines, Inc., Case No. CL 66763 (defense counsel – defense verdict in wrongful death claim against provider of intercity bus transportation).
- Moody v. Fetters, Case No. CL 66425 (defense counsel - defense verdict in motor vehicle personal injury lawsuit).
- Neal v. Lowe, Farm & City Ins. Co & Allied Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., Case No. CL 80176 (defense counsel - defense verdict in claim against underinsured motorist insurance carrier).
- Estate of Butler v. Maharishi Vedic Education Development Corp. Case No. 4:06-cv-00072 (defense counsel - summary judgment in wrongful death claim brought by university student).
- Leading Edge Developmental Services v. enXco Inc., Case No. 3:05-cv-03047 (defense counsel – summary judgment on breach of contract claim against wind power developer).
- Pella Plastics, Inc. v. Engineered Plastic Components, Inc., Case No. CV 090067 (plaintiff’s counsel - judgment for damage to electrical power distribution equipment).
- Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines v. Cedar Forest Products Co., Case No. CL 86984 (plaintiff’s counsel – judgment to lost volume seller for lost profits after purchase contract rescinded).
- Parker v. Nelson, Hatfield & Taylor, Case No. CL 79565 (defense counsel – de minimus verdict in motor vehicle personal injury lawsuit).
- Amco Ins. Co. v. Pane, Case No. CL 104742 (counsel for insurer - declaratory judgment in favor of insurer on coverage issue under liability insurance policy).
- Stenlund v. Mercy Medical Center, et al., Case No. CL 103793 (defense counsel - motion to dismiss granted in personal injury lawsuit).
- Pickering v. Urbantus, LLC, Case No. 4:11–cv–00411 (defense counsel - motion granted to stay proceedings and compel arbitration).
- AHEPA 192-1 Apartments v. Smith, Case No. 11-0167 (landlord’s counsel – eviction of tenant for clear and present danger behavior and successful defense of tenant’s associated housing discrimination claims).
- Kelderman v. Remington Arms Co., Inc., Case No. 90–0078 (defense counsel - successful opposition to motion to challenging federal court jurisdiction).