Emily E. Harris
Emily is a shareholder attorney at the Davis Brown Law Firm. As a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Department,
her practice focuses on obtaining patent, trademark, and copyright
protection for firm clients and providing litigation support to the intellectual property litigators.
Emily is a registered patent attorney, able to practice in front of
the United States Patent and Trademark Office. She has a very diverse
practice within the firm's intellectual property area.
- She prosecutes patent applications in technology areas ranging
from biotechnology and biochemistry to agricultural machinery, tires and
- She is an experienced trademark attorney, securing registrations for
her clients, litigating trademark disputes in front of the U.S.
Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and providing opinions about the
availability of trademarks for her clients to adopt.
- She is the firm's most experienced software and cyberlaw lawyer and
she routinely drafts and negotiates software license agreements and
- She advises clients on copyright issues and negotiates complex intellectual property and technology licenses.
- She has extensive experience in drafting appellate court briefs on issues pertaining to her client's patent rights.
- She has served as a panelist/judge for the Technology Association of
Iowa's Pitch and Grow events in Des Moines and Iowa City. She was also
selected to serve as a panelist for VentureNet Iowa's program that helps
award Demonstration Fund grants to startups.
- She was selected to be part of a select group organized to studying
technology transfer strategies for universities around the country.
- She acted as pro bono counsel to the Iowa Biosciences Alliance, which is now the Iowa Innovation Council.
Emerging Businesses and Start-ups - The Start-Up Launchpad
Emily has a passion for technology and advocates for startup
businesses, especially in relation to intellectual property and cyberlaw
matters. She is the co-founder of Davis Brown's own startup business,
The Start-Up Launchpad (www.thestartuplaunchpad.com).
This unique website is designed to provide startup businesses and
entrepreneurs with an affordable online legal solution for everything
from business formation to protection of intellectual property. Using
the site, clients can quickly and easily gain access to more than 30
legal documents, educational checklists and articles that were developed
by Emily and other Davis Brown attorneys.