"I have never asked a question they've not known the answer to. They have the resources at your disposal - in this market, that is quite significant. They are extremely collaborative in terms of the client."
Chambers USA, Litigation: Insurance (Band 1), 2016
The insurance defense attorneys at the Davis Brown Law Firm provide litigation services and counsel to insurance companies, self-insured clients, third-party administrators (TPAs), and others. Davis Brown attorneys serve clients in both federal and state court matters throughout Iowa and the Midwest.
More than twenty attorneys comprise the Insurance Defense Department, and these attorneys work with clients in virtually every area of insurance defense, including products liability cases, premises liability cases, personal injury cases, property damage cases, general liability matters, specialty claims defense and professional negligence defense, as well as assist clients with many other types of insurance matters, including insurance and reinsurance coverage work and bad-faith claims.
Insurance Defense Representation
The insurance defense attorneys have represented clients in a wide range of cases, including but not limited to, those relating to:
- Professional liability, including those involving engineers, architects, and other design professionals
- Products liability, including those involving distributors, suppliers, retailers and manufacturers
- Specialty risk liability, including commercial and comprehensive general liability
- Breach of contract and other fee disputes
- Slip-and-fall, trip-and-fall, ice and snow negligence, negligent ground-keeping, and other premises liability
- Wrongful death
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Real estate and title insurance
- Banking and accounting
- Wrongful termination, retaliation, and other civil rights claims
- Employment Law
- Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Antitrust issues
- Trade secret, copyright and other intellectual property
- Medical malpractice
- Doctors of veterinary medicine
- Construction defects, including those involving owners, contractors, and subcontractors
- Teacher abuse
- Dog bites
- Dram shop liability
- Property damage
- Life insurance coverage issues
- Insurance and reinsurance coverage opinions
- Umbrella and excess policies
- Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage
- Section 1983
- Libel and slander
- Negligent misrepresentation
- Tortious interference with contracts and/or prospective contracts
- Enforcement of hold harmless and indemnification agreements
- Mediation of pre-suit matters
- Claims counsel oversight
- Workers' compensation
Having successfully defended numerous claims on behalf of individuals and corporations, the insurance defense attorneys at Davis Brown have extensive trial experience, as well as a wealth of expertise in appellate advocacy. These lawyers are also trained and experienced in alternate dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation, and summary jury trials, and have favorably settled numerous cases before trial to the benefit of insurers and their insureds.
Panel Counsel and Major Claims Counsel
The insurance defense attorneys at Davis Brown are available to act as panel counsel and major claims counsel for insurers and TPAs handling work throughout Iowa and elsewhere in the Midwest and the United States.
A sample of the insurance companies and TPAs that the insurance defense lawyers at Davis Brown have represented include the following: ACE USA; Amerisure Insurance Atlantic Mutual Cos.; Buckeye State Mutual Insurance Company; CNA Insurance Cos.; Chesterfield Services, Inc.; Crawford & Co.; Design Professional Insurance Co.; Encompass Insurance; Fidelity and Deposit Company of Maryland; Firemen's Fund-American Insurance Cos.; GAB Business Services, Inc.; Gallagher Bassett; Grocers Insurance; Indiana Lumbermen's Mutual Insurance Co.; IronHealth; IronShore; Liberty Mutual Insurance Co.; Merastar Insurance Co.; Meridian Insurance; Nationwide Agribusiness; Prudential Property & Casualty Insurance Co.; RLI Insurance Companies; Sedgwick CMS; Union Insurance Co.; State Auto Insurance; Travelers Insurance; Wausau Insurance and Zurich Insurance.