Robert A. Gamble
Robert Gamble, known as Beau to friends and clients, has a law practice spanning over five decades and two prominent law firms. He helps banks, holding companies, senior bank officers, community bankers, and financial institutions with mergers and acquisitions, regulatory matters, and corporate governance.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Beau advises community and state banks, as well as bank holding companies and bank subsidiaries, through the process of merging with, acquiring, or being acquired by, other banks. He knows a merger and/or acquisition is the most important transaction a bank will make; Beau aims to make an already stressful situation less so.
Over his long career and through his relationship with the Iowa Bankers Association, Beau has formed relationships with regulators, opposing counsel, rural lawyers, community bankers, and banks across Iowa and the Midwest. These relationships, along with Beau’s knowledge, provide his clients with a professional, collegial experience.
Through Beau’s M&A practice, he has developed a rapport with state regulators, making it easier for him to communicate on behalf of his clients and gain the necessary regulatory approvals for the transaction.
He also represents financial institution clients before various regulatory bodies, including the Iowa Division of Banking, FDIC, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and advises them on various regulation compliance including Sarbanes-Oxley, Dodd-Frank, and the Bank Holding Company Act, among others.
As part of a merger or acquisition, Beau often helps the boards of banks and bank subsidiaries with their corporate governance. This includes the preparation of articles of incorporation, bylaws, buy-sell agreements, and escrow agreements. Additionally, when banks are merging or acquiring another bank(s), Beau is there to help with shareholder and board of directors’ approval and relations.
In the last few years, Beau has represented:
- Farmers and Merchants Bancorp and its shareholders in the sale of stock to Iowa residents.
- IT&S, Inc. and its shareholders in the sale of its True Bank shares to Community Bancshares Corp. Beau participated in the registration and distribution of bid materials, completed the bid process, assisted with transaction documents, and assisted with closing, escrow, and post closing activities.
- KSB, Ltd. and its shareholders in connection with the sale of its subsidiary, Keokuk Savings Bank & Trust Company and related insurance agencies, to Fort Madison Financial Company. Beau participated in the bid process, the negotiation and execution of transaction documents, closing, and post-closing activities.
- First State Bank Holding Company for the purchase of Patriot Bank in Brooklyn, Iowa. Purchase and assumption transaction with related transfer of assets; drafted all transaction documents, prepared applications and obtained regulatory approval; participated in closing and post-closing process.
- Cedar Valley Bankshares for the purchase of Hampton State Bank in Hampton, Iowa. Stock purchase with related corporate actions; drafted all transaction documents, prepared application and obtained regulatory approval; participated in closing and post-closing process.
- Central South Bancorporation for the merger with Pleasantville State Bank, in Pleasantville, Iowa. Stock purchase with bank merger immediately following closing; drafted all transaction documents, prepared applications and obtained regulatory approval and participated in closing and post-closing process.