John C. Pietila
John Pietila is a shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm. As a member of the firm's Business Division, John focuses his practice on serving rural telecommunications companies, agribusiness companies and other businesses which create or facilitate growth through investment in rural communities. He advises clients on a wide spectrum of legal, transactional and regulatory matters, including corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, business transactions, strategic joint ventures and federal and state regulatory compliance.
- Serving as outside general counsel to an Iowa telecommunications cooperatives, independent telecommunications companies and agribusiness operators, including corporate governance, debt and equity financing, contracts and other strategic, transactional and regulatory matters.
- Assisting acquirers and target companies with mergers and acquisitions in the rural telecommunications industry, including structuring, negotiating and drafting transactions involving wireline telecommunications, wireless telecommunications, multichannel video programming, cable and fiber broadband, and media, technology and internet business units.
- Advising rural local exchange carriers in the organization of joint ventures and joint operating entities to build and enhance business synergies, achieve economies of scale and improve overall efficiencies in marketing, operating and development projects.
- Assisting rural wireless carriers in developing and implementing a joint strategy for expanding access to wireless spectrum resources and deploying Long Term Evolution (LTE) wireless broadband technologies.
- Advising independent cable television companies and other multichannel video programming distributors in connection with video content acquisition, including cable affiliation agreements and retransmission consent agreements.
- Advising rural telecommunications companies in connection with convertible debt financing and strategic equity investments in start-up and early-stage media and technology companies.
- Advising rural telecommunications companies in connection with applicable federal, state and local regulatory frameworks, including Federal Communications Commission and Federal Trade Commission consumer privacy and data security regulations.
- Representing clients before federal and state administrative agencies, including the Iowa Utilities Board and the Federal Communications Commission.
- Serving as general counsel to the Iowa Telecommunications Association and Iowa Corn Growers Association.