Today the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) added to
the list of preventative care services that non-grandfathered health
plans must cover at 100% without cost sharing by the participant. These
include items and services such as:
- well-woman visits;
- screening for gestational diabetes;
- human papilloma virus (HPV) DNA testing for women 30 years and older;
- sexually-transmitted infection counseling;
- human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) screening and counseling;
- FDA-approved contraception methods and contraceptive counseling;
- breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling; and
- domestic violence screening and counseling.
The new requirements go into effect for plan years starting on or
after August 1, 2012. For example, a plan that commences on January 1
will need to comply January 1, 2013.