Bill Hanigan is a shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm. As a member of the firm’s Business Division, he has a general practice in, but not limited to, the areas of business organizations and transactions, agribusiness, debt restructuring, corporate reorganization, mergers & acquisitions, finance and securities.
Bill represents clients in Iowa and across the Midwest that produce renewable fuels and develop related emerging technologies. He advises other agricultural clients about business development, financing, regulation and reporting issues related to their industries.
Bill has effectively negotiated financing, construction, management, marketing and other commercial contracts to ensure organizations meet their short and long-term financial targets. In addition, he helps clients buy and sell important business assets.
Bill’s practice includes business litigation and arbitration. He represents clients in state and federal courts and in arbitration proceedings. His assistance to clients with disputes against the state and federal government include contract disputes and constitutional claims involving the Equal Protection Clause, the Commerce Clause and the Takings Clause.
Bill leads the firm’s renewable energy team and currently acts as general counsel to ethanol manufacturing companies with more than 580 million gallons per year of corn ethanol production.
As part of his extensive range of legal experience, Bill has closed financing transactions with the banks that have financed the majority of corn ethanol and biodiesel facilities in operation in the United States. Bill recently led the legal team acquiring a 55mgpy ethanol manufacturing plant in Minnesota.
- Provided legal services to 35 operating ethanol and biodiesel manufacturing companies in the United States.
- Advised a producer cooperative regarding the protection of its investment in a start-up technology company.
- Represented a manufacturing company in its arbitration with a vendor.
- Represents a coalition of Iowa ethanol companies in a multimillion dollar tax refund case.
- Provided advice and analysis to a joint venture between an manufacturer and a food products technology company.
- Counsel to a producer owned biomass cooperative.
- Represented a privately owned legume soybean technology and processing company in its reorganization and refinancing.
- Represented a joint venture between two Fortune 100 companies in their commercialization of new biofuel technology.
- Represented a custom beef producer in its contract negotiation with a beef marketing company.