Kelsey K. Crosse
Kelsey is a trial lawyer in the firm’s Litigation Division with an emphasis in the areas of employment law and general litigation including business litigation, commercial litigation, and insurance defense.
Kelsey zealously represents her clients in both state and federal court and counsels them on how to minimize their liability exposure prior to and during litigation. Kelsey’s clients are diverse including insurance companies, businesses of all sizes including start-up companies, professionals, banks, and non-profit organizations. She is currently the Associate Representative to the Firm’s Board of Directors.
In her employment practice, Kelsey advises employers on various employment related issues such as defending against civil rights claims, hiring and background checks, discipline, termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, severance agreements, drug and alcohol testing, breach of contract/non-compete agreements, and wage and hour issues. She also represents employers in unemployment benefit hearings.
Kelsey also drafts workplace policies and employee handbooks to ensure that her clients comply with state and federal laws such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the National Labor Relations Act, and Title VII.
INSURANCE DEFENSE & CIVIL LITIGATION
Kelsey advises clients on a wide array of topics including Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI), professional liability, wrongful death, personal injury, property damage, construction, fair housing discrimination, and business related contract and tort claims.
PUBLICATIONS, SPEECHES & SEMINARS
Kelsey is a frequent speaker and author on national and state employment issues.
- Breaking Up is Hard to Do, Madison County Employer's Council of Iowa, June 2016.
- Recharging Batteries or A Revolving Door? Preventing Misuse and Abuse of Employee Leave, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2016.
- Discipline Do’s, Don’ts, and Shouldn’ts, Iowa Tourism Leadership Institute, April 2016.
- Recharging Batteries or a Revolving Door? Preventing Misuse and Abuse of Employee Leave, Iowa Employment Conference, April 2016.
- Social Media in the Workplace, 24th Annual CI-SHRM Legal and Legislative Conference, February 2016.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act - What You Need to Know & Why, Iowa Health Care Association, December 2015.
- “It’s time for Walmart to roll back its approach to workplace violence,” Iowa Employment Law Letter, Vol. 22, No. 7, November 2015.
- Religious & Ethnic Issues in the Workplace, Central Iowa SHRM, October 2015.
- Why is Your Business if I’m Pregnant? Maternal and Child Health and Family Planning Seminar, Iowa Department of Public Health, September 2015.
- When Good Policies Go Bad - Handbook Pitfalls and Best Practices, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2015.
- What Crawled Out From Under the Rock? Background Checks and Due Diligence, Davis Brown Employment Law Seminar, April 2014.
- New Rules: Expedited Trial and Discovery Changes, Iowa State Bar Association Webinar, January 2015.
- "Employee Privacy Laws: Iowa," Practical Law Company, January 2014.