Becky S. Knutson
Becky is a senior shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm in the Litigation Division. She has a general practice in, but not limited to, labor and employment law, education law, family law and professional licensing.
Labor and Employment Law
In the Labor and Employment area, Becky advises both public and private sector clients. She has been involved in litigation and advising clients on employment matters including handbooks and policies, compliance with local, state and federal laws, discipline and discharge, collective bargaining, grievance arbitration, employee organization and union organizing issues, unfair labor and prohibited practices, professional conduct and licensing, civil rights, OSHA, workers' compensation, wage and hour compliance, drug testing, and individual employment, compensation and severance agreements. Her litigation practice includes appearing before state and federal courts, the NLRB and Iowa PERB, and a variety of administrative agencies at the trial and appellate levels.
Becky represents educators and school employees in employment disputes before school boards and committees, agencies, and state and federal courts. Issues addressed include discipline, termination, promotion and tenure matters, licensure, collective bargaining, grievances and other employment matters. Becky also represents students in discipline, discrimination and injury matters.
In the Family Law area, Becky advises clients concerning pre-marital
agreements, divorce and dissolution of marriage issues, and post-divorce
compliance, enforcement and modification issues. She frequently deals with issues concerning large asset cases, business and asset valuation, pension and retirement account division, spousal support and the tax aspects of valuation and asset transfer.
Becky has been trained as a mediator, completing a forty-hour course
of instruction at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, and is
listed with the Polk County Mediation project.
Becky is the past chair of the Polk County Bench and Bar Committee. She is a past member of the
Iowa State Bar Association Insurance Plans Committee, Iowa State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Council and the Iowa Senate Ethics Committee. She is also a member of the Judicial Administration Committee and the Judicial Plebiscite subcommittee.
Presentations & Publications
- National Labor Relations Board Update, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2018.
- Social Media and the NLRB, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2016.
- Wage and Hour Issues, International Society of Certified Employee Benefit Specialists (ISCEBS) Des Moines Chapter, September 2015.
- Issues in Employment Law, NCMIC, June 2015.
- Paychecks and Plaintiffs, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2015.
- Leaves and Returns - Working Through the Maze, Davis Brown Spring Seminar, April 2015.
- Wage and Hour Law, Central Iowa Chapter, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), October 2012 and September 2012.