Christopher P. Jannes
Chris is a senior shareholder and member of the firm’s Board of Directors. His general litigation practice includes, but is not limited to, work in the areas of insurance defense, insurance coverage, insurance bad faith, personal injury, product liability, business litigation, commercial litigation, UCC litigation, real property litigation, construction litigation, and long-term healthcare litigation.
Chris possesses 30 years of experience in state and federal trial and appellate courts. During this time, he has handled a wide range of litigation matters. His product liability experience includes participation in the defense of a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in statewide diet drug litigation. Additionally, Chris has extensive experience in insurance coverage matters. He regularly provides analysis and written coverage opinions on a variety of insurance coverage issues deriving from general liability, professional liability, homeowners, personal and commercial auto and commercial property policies of insurance.
Chris has tried jury and bench trials to judgment in state and federal district courts, and has successfully argued appeals before the Iowa Supreme Court, the Iowa Court of Appeals and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He has also resolved numerous lawsuits through settlement, motion practice, arbitration and mediation. His clients have included insurance companies, product manufacturers, financial institutions, real property management companies, finance companies, healthcare providers, long-term healthcare facilities and individuals.
Awards & Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
An AV certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a
testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the
highest level of professional excellence.
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020, Commercial Litigation. Chris has been ranked since 2018.
Estate of Marcotte v. Greyhound Lines, Inc., defense counsel – defense verdict in wrongful death claim against provider of intercity bus transportation.
- Kelderman v. Remington Arms Co., Inc., defense counsel - defense verdict in a product liability claim for personal injuries as a result of alleged defective ammunition.
- Moody v. Fetters, defense counsel - defense verdict in motor vehicle personal injury lawsuit.
- Neal v. Lowe, Farm & City Ins. Co & Allied Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., defense counsel - defense verdict in claim against underinsured motorist insurance carrier.
- Estate of Butler v. Maharishi Vedic Education Development Corp., defense counsel - summary judgment in wrongful death claim brought by university student.
- Leading Edge Developmental Services v. enXco Inc., defense counsel – summary judgment on breach of contract claim against wind power developer.
- Pella Plastics, Inc. v. Engineered Plastic Components, Inc., plaintiff’s counsel - judgment for damage to electrical power distribution equipment.
- Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines v. Cedar Forest Products Co., plaintiff’s counsel – judgment to lost volume seller for lost profits after purchase contract rescinded.
- Parker v. Nelson, Hatfield & Taylor, defense counsel – verdict in motor vehicle personal injury lawsuit.
- Amco Ins. Co. v. Pane, counsel for insurer - declaratory judgment in favor of insurer on coverage issue under liability insurance policy.
- Stenlund v. Mercy Medical Center, et al., defense counsel - motion to dismiss granted in personal injury lawsuit.
- Pickering v. Urbantus, LLC, defense counsel - motion granted to stay proceedings and compel arbitration.
- AHEPA 192-1 Apartments v. Smith, landlord’s counsel – eviction of tenant for clear and present danger behavior and successful defense of tenant’s associated housing discrimination claims.