David B. VanSickel
For over 40 years, David has been primarily involved in providing advice to the State and its agencies and instrumentalities and various political subdivisions, such as cities and counties, with respect to all types of public finance.
David has participated in a wide variety of financings at all levels of government and has acted as:
- bond counsel
- underwriter’s counsel
- disclosure counsel
- bank counsel
- issuer’s counsel
David has given advice on numerous financing projects and issues including:
- long and short-term debt
- enhanced and unenhanced issues
- general obligation and revenue issues
- governmental and private activity bonds, including bonds for the benefit of 501(c)(3) entities
- David acts as bond counsel to Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) and has been involved in each of DMACC’s tax-exempt and taxable financings (more than 60 separate issues) over the past 33 years. David also acts as bond counsel for Kirkwood Community College.
- David has been involved with the Iowa Higher Education Loan Authority (IHELA) since its inception. David drafted the legislation which established IHELA and expanded its functions to include facilities financing. David has been part of the finance team on each of the issues which IHELA has undertaken (more than 190 issues aggregating more than $1.75 billion of bonds).
- David acted as bond counsel for the State of Iowa in connection with its issuance of over $5 billion of Tax and Revenue Anticipation Notes for over 30 years.
- David acted as bond counsel to the Iowa Finance Authority in connection with its Underground Storage Tank Program and as bond counsel to the Finance Authority in connection with the issuance of revenue bonds under the Finance Authority’s Correctional Facility program.
- David has acted as underwriter’s counsel on a variety of issues including the State’s IJOBS, Vision Iowa and School Infrastructure programs, Honey Creek Bonds, SRF Bonds, and Tobacco Settlement Authority Bonds.