Deborah M. Tharnish
"Provides excellent customer service, has substantive knowledge of the law and consistently gives sound advice."
Chambers USA, Reference Feedback
Deb is a highly-regarded Iowa litigator with a practice focused on commercial litigation and employment law. She is known for her non-confrontational but direct style, her common sense, and her status as a trailblazer for female attorneys.
Deb was a member of the Davis Brown Board of Directors, serving as the firm’s and Iowa’s first female law firm President in 1998 and 1999. She is currently a member of the firm’s professional responsibility/ethics committee.
Her litigation practice spans almost 40 years, serving companies in the insurance, healthcare, and manufacturing industries as well as municipalities. Deb regularly helps companies and employers with:
- Contract and business tort cases
- Real estate assessment appeals
- Defending all types of discrimination claims, wrongful termination claims, and restrictive covenant cases
Awards & Honors
- AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell. The highest peer rating standard. This rating signifies that a large number of the lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards.
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Labor & Employment. Deb has been recognized by Best Lawyers since 2008.
- Best Lawyers®2015 Bet-the-Company Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" in the Des Moines metro.
- Best Lawyers® 2018 and 2012 Litigation - Labor & Employment "Lawyer of the Year" in the Des Moines metro.
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial, Iowa Ranked Band 1; Labor and Employment Law, Iowa Ranked Band 1, 2019
- 2018 Great Plains Super Lawyers, Business Litigation. Deb has been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2007.
- 2014 Super Lawyers Business Edition, Business Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation Top 250 Women in Litigation, 2013
- Fellow of the Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Arabella Mansfield Award Recipient
- Hoover High School Hall of Fame Recipient
- Graduate of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute