Elizabeth S. Van Arkel
Elizabeth joined the Davis Brown Law Firm in January 2014 as an associate attorney. She is a multilingual immigration lawyer, who is fluent in Spanish and proficient in Italian. In her practice, she offers experience in several areas of immigration, family, and criminal law.
In the area of immigration law, Elizabeth’s work includes deportation defense, asylum, family-based immigrant and non-immigrant visas to include Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), and U-Visas for victims of violence. She assists with the preparation of non-immigrant petitions for H-1B, R-1 and TN; and immigrant petitions for PERM labor certifications and immigrant worker petitions, I-140.
Elizabeth’s experience in family law includes divorce, custody matters, and name changes.
Publications, SPEECHES AND SEMINARS
- "Update on Immigration for Corporate Counsel," Corporate Counsel Section, Iowa State Bar Association, February 2017.
- “Navigating the Executive Orders on Immigration,” Iowa State University, February 2017.
- “Representing Immigrant Clients,” Polk County Women Attorneys, December 2016.
- “Legal Considerations for Small Business Owners,” Mini-Immigrant Entrepreneurs Summit, Iowa City, April 2014; Davenport, July 2014
- “When Respondent Doesn’t Play or Doesn’t Play by the Rules,” Iowa State Bar Association Annual Meeting, Des Moines, June 2014
- “Immigration Issues in Juvenile Court,” Polk County Juvenile Court Model Court Training Academy, August 2014
- 2018 Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Immigration: Consumer. Liz was also recognized in 2017.