Gene R. La Suer
Gene is a senior shareholder in the Employment and Labor Law Department and current President of the Board of Directors at the Davis Brown Law Firm.
"Leader in employment practice matters" "quick analysis skills" "significant experience"
Chambers USA, Reference Feedback
Labor and Employment Law
Gene practices in the areas of labor and employment law and trial. In labor law, he concentrates on collective bargaining negotiations, unfair labor practice proceedings as well as wage and hour matters. Also an experienced trial lawyer, he defends employers in courts throughout the country in all types of matters. He regularly advises clients individually and at client seminars on matters involving employee hiring, discipline, and discharge.
- Successfully negotiated or assisted in the negotiations of more than 20 collective bargaining agreements in the past five years.
- Successfully defended several clients from union organizing drives throughout the country, including under the new “ambush” election procedures.
- Successfully represented numerous employers in representation proceedings and unfair labor practice proceedings before the NLRB.
- Successfully defended unionized clients in hundreds of grievances in the past two years relating to various issues connected to a collective bargaining agreements through arbitration and negations.
- Obtained summary judgment in a case involving an allegation of improper termination of COBRA rights. The Eighth Circuit upheld the grant of summary judgment in 2014.
- Successfully defended an age discrimination case in front of a jury in Polk County. Plaintiff sought more than $1.6 million and would not have settled for less. The jury returned a defense verdict and the Iowa Court of Appeals upheld the defense verdict.