The attorneys of the Government Relations department are committed to pursuing clients’ legislative and regulatory agendas at state and federal levels through effective use of every advocacy tool at our disposal including lobbying, grassroots, and PAC resources, and by leveraging our extensive network of resources and contacts.
Lobbying: State and Federal Advocacy
- Develop and maintain relationships with policymakers and staff in the legislative and executive branches in Iowa and at the federal level.
- Lobby in favor of legislation benefiting clients or against legislation detrimental to clients.
- Ensure that issues and policies of importance to our clients are understood and taken into consideration by policymakers, stakeholders, and staff in the legislative and executive branches in Iowa and at the federal level.
- Develop a comprehensive grassroots strategy and message designed to create a culture of grassroots advocacy in a business or organization.
- Conduct trainings at the local level and provide ongoing support for employees/association members in order to implement local advocacy efforts and impact public policy consistent with clients’ goals.
- Coordinate events such as legislative receptions, “Day on the Hill” events, and D.C. fly-ins.
Political Action Committees
- Establish, manage, and grow a PAC to maximize its role in supporting the interests and goals of client companies and organizations.
- Develop and/or reinforce the client’s reputation as an entity that supports candidates for public office who have demonstrated support for that client and its interests.
Davis Brown has contacts and relationships across legislative, executive, and administrative bodies at both the state and federal levels. As a law firm with over 85 years in business, we have developed and maintained solid working relationships with industry stakeholders and policymakers throughout government and Central Iowa. We have contacts at the following entities, among others:
- Iowa State Legislature
- Iowa Governor’s Office
- Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission
- Iowa Secretary of State’s Office
- Iowa Attorney General’s Office
- Iowa State Auditor
- Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
- Iowa State Treasurer
- Iowa Department of Education
- Iowa Utilities Board
- Iowa Department of Homeland Security
- Iowa’s Congressional Delegation
- Iowa Department of Human Services
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Iowa Department of Revenue
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Iowa Department of Transportation
The Government Relations attorneys represent clients in a variety of industries, including, but not limited to:
- Agribusiness companies
- Health care organizations
- Educational institutions
- Gaming boats and tracks/casinos
- Trade associations