Davis Brown attorneys in the Landlord-Tenant Law Practice Group work with numerous types of residential and commercial property owners-landlords, tenants, and property managers, including owners of apartment complexes, senior housing facilities, manufactured housing communities, strip malls, and other commercial leasing spaces of all kinds, across the state of Iowa with a variety of matters.
General Counsel for Landlords and Property Managers
Attorneys within the Landlord-Tenant Law Practice Group act as general counsel for numerous national and local landlords and property managers, assisting these clients with their day-to-day questions. They also help clients with more complicated legal issues including:
- Drafting and negotiating residential and commercial lease agreements
- Drafting and implementing Rules and Regulations for residential landlords and property managers, including owners/managers of manufactured home communities
- Drafting and implementing various forms and policies in the residential leasing arena such as manufactured home installment sale contracts, pet policies, application forms, and more
- Advising on Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act issues (Iowa Code Chapter 562A)
- Advising on Mobile Home Parks Residential Landlord and Tenant Act / Manufactured Home Communities issues (Iowa Code Chapter 562B)
- Reasonable accommodation and modification/waiver requests under the Fair Housing Act, including questions on emotional support animals and assistance animals
In addition to general counsel matters, attorneys within the Landlord-Tenant Law Practice Group are available to assist clients with landlord-tenant and leasing disputes and litigation, including:
- Defending HUD, Fair Housing Act (“FHA”)/Iowa Civil Rights Act, and other housing discrimination complaints
- Eviction / FED matters
- Enforcement of landlord liens
- Debt collection against tenants
- Breach of lease agreement matters
- Actions involving abandoned mobile homes
- Alleged breach of the implied warranty/covenant of quiet enjoyment
- Guaranty disputes
- Private nuisance disputes
- Class Action defense
Education and Training
Attorneys in the Landlord-Tenant Law Practice Group are active members and presenters for multiple local and statewide landlord associations, including Landlords of Iowa, Ames Rental Association, the Iowa Manufactured Housing Association, and the American Apartment Owners Association.
Attorneys in the Landlord-Tenant Law Practice Group regularly speak on numerous legal topics including fair housing, recent case law, legislative updates, landlord best practices, community manager training, evictions, collections, and more.