Michael C. Richards
Mike is a senior shareholder of the Davis Brown Law Firm, and currently serves as Secretary of the Board of Directors as well as chair of the firm’s Insurance Defense Department. Mike joined Davis Brown in May 2011 after practicing for a decade in Washington, D.C. and Virginia. During the last fifteen years, his litigation practice has focused on all stages of complex civil litigation, with an emphasis on defense litigation.
Mike regularly represents individuals against claims of professional negligence and liability, including architects, engineers, medical providers, lawyers, brokers and others. In addition, he represents businesses, companies and insurance carriers in a wide variety of commercial claims and litigation, including contract and employment related disputes.
His practice also includes municipality litigation, intellectual property litigation, construction litigation, premises liability,
products liability, tractor trailer and motor vehicle accident litigation, employee benefits litigation, casualty insurance defense, general insurance defense litigation, and general civil litigation. Mike is also routinely engaged to provide coverage opinions for insurance carriers and insureds.
In addition to many bench trials, Mike has first-chaired numerous jury trials to verdict in state and federal courts across the country. He has negotiated and mediated several hundred other cases, many of which involved multi-million dollar claims.
Mike is licensed to practice law in Iowa, Virginia and the District of Columbia.
- AV® Preeminent™ rated by Martindale-Hubbell. An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.
- Business Record's Forty Under 40, Class of 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America© 2020, Litigation - Insurance and Commercial Litigation. Mike has been ranked since 2019
- 2016 Great Plains Super Lawyers “Rising Star” - Civil Litigation: Defense. Mike has been recognized on the “Rising Star” list since 2014.
- Recognized by Super Lawyers as a "Virginia Rising Star" in Civil Litigation for the years 2010 and 2011.