Ryan L. Haaland
Ryan is a shareholder with the Davis Brown Law Firm’s business division. He helps real estate developers, landowners, and business owners of all sizes and types achieve their business goals.
A former solo practitioner, Ryan works primarily from the Ames office to assist his clients with real estate projects, business formation and transactions, and estate planning.
Ryan’s extensive real estate practice includes commercial and residential development and landlord-tenant matters. He advises individuals and businesses throughout the state of Iowa and when needed acts as local counsel for out of state clients involved in real estate and business transactions.
Ryan also represents clients starting new businesses as well as helps clients purchase existing businesses. He counsels clients with business organization and startups, mergers, acquisitions, and sales.
In addition to real estate and business matters, Ryan maintains an active estate planning practice, assisting farmers, business owners, and others with their wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and tax planning.
- Part of the due diligence team helping one of the largest energy holdings companies in the U.S. with a $3.6 billion wind project that will result in wind turbines in more than five Iowa counties and a projected 2,000 megawatts of power in the state by 2019, enough to power 840,000 Iowa homes.
- Represents lenders in residential and commercial real estate transactions - title work, working with real estate brokers and agents, coordinating the closing, and generally facilitating the orderly transfer of property from seller to buyer. In the past year, Ryan has assisted with over 800 closings.
- Helps real estate developers and individuals with real estate gifting arrangements, assisting with legal and tax issues involved in gifting.
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- Iowa Chapter, USA Regional Real Estate, with Robert J. Douglas, David M. Erickson, and Christopher S. Talcott, Chambers and Partners, 2019.
- Unbundled Client Services, Story County Bar Association, March 2016.
- EDMS Training Presenter, Johnson County Magistrates, 2014.
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2019 Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Real Estate. Ryan was first selected for Rising Stars in 2017.