Stanley J. Thompson
“Committed, practical, and experienced in every aspect of trial.”
-Chambers USA, Reference Feedback
Stan is an experienced and preeminent commercial litigator. Stan’s clients - banks, businesses, medical practices, and construction companies - depend on Stan for his ability to efficiently process often highly complex information.
With over 30 years of litigation experience, Stan has handled numerous types of litigation in several industries - manufacturing, construction, healthcare, and financial institutions. Today, his practice focuses mainly on commercial and complex business litigation, specifically disputes amongst partnerships, LLCs, trusts, and construction disputes.
A growing area of Stan’s practice is advising and representing medical practice groups and individual physicians on various business matters, including non-compete agreements, disputes involving members of ambulatory surgery centers, review of contracts for construction on new facilities, and contracts to provide services to third parties.
- Garnered a significant victory for MidWestOne Bank & Trust which was sued by a Fortune 500 company represented by a national law firm. The lawsuit involved multimillion dollar claims based on trade secret misappropriation, aiding and abetting, and conspiracy. The two-week jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa culminated in a complete defense verdict for Stan’s client who was found not liable on any ground.
- Earned a defense verdict on a dispute between two businesses regarding a merger; the verdict was later affirmed on appeal
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss a shareholder suit which was affirmed at the 8th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari
- Successfully argued a bondholder case to the Minnesota Supreme Court which unanimously reversed the district court and court of appeals decisions on a pleading issue
- Successfully defended a cooperative on the trial of claims brought involving future contracts
- Litigated bondholder claims for a receivership in a high-profile case involving an Iowa water district
- Handled a trademark dispute for an Iowa company in the federal court for the Northern District of California.
- Successfully settled a multimillion dollar property damage claim against the Army Corp of Engineers for the 2011 record flooding along the Missouri River
- Adversary Proceeding in federal bankruptcy court regarding governance issues under the Iowa Limited Liability Partnership Act
- Represented client in a dispute valued at $2.5 million concerning alleged breaches of fiduciary duties and illegal handling of assets in a grantor trust
- Ag Processing, Inc.
- Con Agra, Inc.
- Graham Construction Company
- Iowa State University Alumni Association
- Mississippi Medical Plaza LLC