Stanley J. Thompson
"Bright, has in-depth knowledge of the court system and developing case strategies, and is immediately responsive to client inquiries."
Chambers USA, Reference Feedback
Stan is an experienced and preeminent Iowa commercial litigator tackling complex issues. Stan’s clients - Iowa banks, businesses, medical practices, and construction companies - depend on him for his ability to efficiently process often complicated information as he works toward a solution in their case.
In his over 30 years of experience, Stan has handled numerous types of litigation in several industries - manufacturing, construction, healthcare, and financial institutions. Today, his practice focuses mainly on commercial and complex business litigation, specifically disputes amongst partnerships, LLCs, and trusts, and construction disputes.
A growing area of Stan’s practice is advising and representing medical practice groups and individual physicians on various business matters, including non-compete agreements, disputes involving members of ambulatory surgery centers, review of contracts for construction on new facilities, and contracts to provide services to third parties.
"Committed, practical and experienced in every aspect of trial."
Chambers USA, Reference Feedback
- Obtained verdict against regional bank on behalf of a client on claims of fraudulent misrepresentation and violation of a bank tying statute. The jury awarded the client $545,000 in actual damages and $4 million of punitive damages. The case was covered in the Des Moines Register, Business Record, and Sioux City Journal among others.
- Defending six doctors and others in a dispute involving a non-compete agreement with an existing ambulatory surgery center. After the judge imposed an injunction on his clients, Stan presented evidence to convince the judge that the injunction should be lifted on two of the doctors. The case, which involves the construction of a new medical office facility by Riverview Realty, has been covered in the Sioux City Journal.
- Garnered a significant victory for MidWestOne Bank & Trust which was sued by a Fortune 500 company represented by a national law firm. The lawsuit involved multimillion-dollar claims based on trade secret misappropriation, aiding and abetting, and conspiracy. The two-week jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa culminated in a complete defense verdict for Stan’s client who was found not liable on any ground.
- Earned a defense verdict on a dispute between two businesses regarding a merger; the verdict was later affirmed on appeal.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss a shareholder suit which was affirmed at the 8th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari.
- Successfully argued a bondholder case to the Minnesota Supreme Court which unanimously reversed the district court and court of appeals decisions on a pleading issue.
- Successfully defended a cooperative on the trial of claims brought involving future contracts.
- Litigated bondholder claims for a receivership in a high-profile case involving an Iowa water district.
- Handled a trademark dispute for an Iowa company in the federal court for the Northern District of California.
- Successfully settled a multimillion-dollar property damage claim against the Army Corp of Engineers for the 2011 record flooding along the Missouri River.
- Adversary Proceeding in federal bankruptcy court regarding governance issues under the Iowa Limited Liability Partnership Act.
- Represented client in a dispute valued at $2.5 million concerning alleged breaches of fiduciary duties and illegal handling of assets in a grantor trust.
- Iowa Orthopedics Center
- TriState Specialists, LLC
- Graham Construction Company
- Ag Processing, Inc.
- Iowa State University Alumni Association