Health Care Reform Resource Center
33 Davis Brown Attorneys Selected for The Best Lawyers in America 2014
Davis Brown Attorneys Named Among Best in the U.S.
Immigration Client Resource Center
Voted Des Moines' Best Law Firm

Davis Brown Immigration Law Blog

Social Security Numbers May be Requested with Work Permission - October 5, 2017

The form I-765 has been revised so that applicants may request a Social Security number at the same time. The form is used to request work permission, known as EAD or Employment Authorization Document, by certain foreign students, spouses of certain temporary residents, persons in the “adjustment of status” process for permanent residency, or persons applying for asylum, among others.

Because of a new information-sharing arrangement, the application will allow applicants to request that the Social Security Administration (SSA) issue them a number. SSA estimates that use of this form could reduce visits to SSA offices by up to 400,000 per year. A similar option is available in the immigrant visa process and has been for years.

This blog is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only, as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the blog. The blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.