The Davis Brown Law Firm currently has an opening for a full-time Litigation Paralegal in our Des Moines, IA office. This position will assist our litigation division in the areas of general civil litigation, commercial litigation, and insurance defense and be heavily involved in managing and working with electronically stored information (ESI).
job duties include
- Fact investigation, document review and witness preparation
- Assist in preparing and answering discovery, including organizing and maintaining large volumes of documents and preparing them for production
- Draft initial drafts of basic court filings, letters and other documents
- Assist attorneys with electronic discovery and trial presentation software, including reviewing and organizing documents in electronic databases
- Prepare medical record and medical bill summaries
- Organize and prepare outlines and summaries of records for internal use and presentation to the client
- Assist in the preparation of trial exhibits and other trial preparation.
- Conduct research and background searches from various sources such as Iowa Courts Online, PACER, and other public information websites
- Request medical records from providers, arrange record reviews and independent medical examination appointments
- Process time entry and billing according to firm guidelines
- Other tasks as assigned
the ideal candidate
- Is a team player who can work effectively with several attorneys
- Exercises the highest level of confidentiality and judgment
- Understands and complies with all court rules
- Can operate litigation technology systems such as Summation and TrialDirector
- Possesses strong computer and database skills
- Possesses excellent organizational abilities and is highly detail oriented
- Is proficient in proofreading and editing documents ensuring accuracy, comprehension, and overall grammar and punctuation
- Works effectively under pressure and can prioritize and handle time-sensitive priorities with ease and confidence
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills necessary to build team relationships with legal professionals, internal/external clients and staff
- Demonstrates ability to communicate in a confident, proficient, and tactful manner with coworkers and internal/external clients.
- High School Diploma required
- Bachelors Degree and/or Associates Degree with Paralegal Certification preferred
- Three years of litigation paralegal experience required
- Experience with Summation, Concordance, Relativity, or other document review software required
Davis Brown Law Firm recognizes and values the significant contributions of our employees and seeks to recruit outstanding individuals who have a strong work ethic and commitment to excellence. Our attorneys serve a diverse client base and practice in a broad range of legal areas, providing the firm's staff members with a desirable variety of work.
Davis Brown is recognized as a top workplace in Iowa and offers a comprehensive benefit package for its staff members, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) and profit sharing plans, long-term and short-term disability, flexible spending and health savings accounts, group life and accidental death insurance, parking subsidy, a generous paid time off plan, among other benefits. We promote a culture of well-being through our wellness program initiatives and encourage a healthy work/life balance for our employees.
To be considered, applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to Summer Herring, Human Resources Director, at SummerHerring@davisbrownlaw.com. Equal Employment Opportunity is both the policy and the practice of our firm and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.