Davis Brown Law Firm seeks a Human Resources & Payroll Assistant to join our team. This full-time position is located in our downtown Des Moines, IA office and is responsible for performing administrative tasks and services to support effective and efficient operations of the firm’s human resource and payroll functions.
essential duties include
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records and documentation.
- Perform periodic audits of HR files and records to ensure all required documents are collected and filed appropriately.
- Track and process employee leaves of absences.
- Assist with planning and execution of special events such as firm-wide meetings, employee recognition events, holiday parties, retirement celebrations and other internal events.
- Answer frequently asked questions from applicants and employees relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.
- Mail, scan and email documents; perform other clerical functions
- Assist with the coordination of annual performance evaluation processes.
- Maintain consistency and compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Complete verifications of employment.
- Assist with HR projects and other duties as assigned.
- Assist the Payroll Supervisor with payroll processing, ensuring all employees are paid accurately and timely with the respective legal and regulatory jurisdiction where employment occurs.
- Maintain employee time punch system; update and correct time punches as necessary.
- Prepare weekly hours reports for payroll submission.
- Enter, maintain, and process information in the payroll system; information may include hourly rates and salaries, bonuses or other compensation, hours worked, paid leave and holidays, deductions and withholdings, and other information.
- Answer payroll questions and facilitate resolutions to any payroll errors.
- Reconcile payroll processing and submit payroll funds as required.
- Assist with staff recruitment and interview processes; post job ads and perform initial resume screening to obtain a pool of potential candidates with the desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Schedule job interviews and assist in interview processes as requested.
- Conduct reference checks and background screenings.
- Conduct and/or assist with new hire orientation.
- Assist with the development of the firm’s wellness program.
- Coordinate and communicate all wellness program initiatives, programs, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent (required); associate or bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least one year of human resources and/or payroll experience required.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to identify level of urgency and prioritize tasks accordingly
- A self-starter who can work within a team as well as independently, with or without supervision
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Proven ability to work across all levels of an organization, communicate effectively and professionally, and provide excellent customer service
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, as well as the ability to learn required systems
- Exceptional attendance and dependability
Davis Brown Law Firm recognizes and values the significant contributions of our support staff and seeks to recruit outstanding individuals who have a strong work ethic and commitment to excellence. Our attorneys serve a diverse client base and practice in a broad range of legal areas, providing the firm's staff members with a desirable variety of work.
Davis Brown is recognized as a top workplace in Iowa and offers a comprehensive benefit package for its staff members, including health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) and profit-sharing plans, long-term and short-term disability, flexible spending and health savings accounts, group life and accidental death insurance, a generous paid time off plan, among other benefits. We promote a culture of well-being through our wellness program initiatives and encourage a healthy work/life balance for our employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity is both the policy and the practice of our firm and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. To be considered, applicants should submit their cover letter and resume to Summer Herring, Human Resources Director, at email@example.com. A post-offer background screening is required for the successful candidate.